Monday, February 25, 2008

Another perspective on normal

In a few days we are flying off the The Netherlands for our annual holidays, to spend some valuable time with Wim's family. Like any excited traveller to the Netherlands, I am really looking forward to cheese the size of cart wheels, the budding of beautiful spring tulips and the relief from the heat and humidity of Cambodia. But ... when I think of what I am really looking forward to, I get a better perspective of my life here in the middle of somewhere!



So ... just to mention a few things I am so looking forward to ...


  • drinking water straight from the tap without having to filter or boil it before hand.

  • walking on carpet

  • fresh milk rather than the box type we have here

  • being able to get hot water out of the tap in the bathroom and the kitchen

  • having a hot shower inside the house

  • not having to bake my own bread every day

  • supermarket aisles

  • set prices

  • delicious soup that comes out of a prepared package

  • traffic lights

  • windows without bars

  • comfy sofas

  • eating apples and oranges

  • sleeping without a net to protect me from insects and other nasties in the night

  • blending into the scenery when we walk out in town

  • playgrounds for the kids to play in

  • no ants in my kitchen

  • no rats in my ceiling

  • no power cuts

  • broadband Internet in my lounge room

... and I guess there will be a few other things too, but you'll have to stay reading in the next few weeks to hear all about them!


No comments: